Tuesday, January 27, 2009

News Update/Press Release for Febuary Gallery Stroll

PENNYROYAL GALLERY and cafe present:

Julia Jones

155 N University Ave. Provo UT www.pennyroyalcafe.com info@pennyroyalcafe.com 801.341.0120

On 6 February 2009, the Pennyroyal Gallery and Cafe will open Julia Jones, a solo show of portrait paintings by Utah based artist Julia Jones


An opening reception will be held for the artist from 6 – 9 pm that evening in association with the monthly Provo Gallery Stroll.

The show will remain open to the public through February 28 and will be viewable from 11 am-2am Monday through Saturday.

"Beauty of the human form, as best I knew it, spoke to my soul and inspired my hands. As years passed, these forms took on the more tangible entities of the human anatomy; layers of eternal truth, the rendering of which facilitated my self-awareness. Soon the curvature and physiology of nature mirrored my personal outlook on the form. My paintings find their completeness beyond the realistic qualities of the figure and more in the psychology that the form adds.


"The people of my paintings are my muses. Yet by the same token, they are my greatest fear. They embody the hopes and fears of my growing years and how they impact my life now. In retrospect, the art I produce has always been a reaction to how I feel people perceive me.


"Many people say that paintings are a window to the world. Mine, however, are keyholes—keyholes through which the viewer may be an excluded perpetrator. Beware, the scrutinized object gazes back to contemplate the viewer. As you view my work, remember that the portrait is looking out at you- making you the object. As much as you will objectify the painting, it will return the favor. Many times in life you stumble upon situations to which you were never invited, where you are an outsider looking in. These paintings are sharing a moment to which you are not privy.


"I work in multiple thin layers of oil paint on a prepared, hard surface. There is something tantalizing and rich in being able to see the gradual history of the form emerging from the brush. As I paint a body, there is a combination of effort and relaxation to allow the colors to form the shapes of the figure.


"I feel that my paintings judge me. They scrutinize me as only an intimate acquaintance can. I want you to feel this. I want to convey the feeling that the onlooker is similarly exposed and being dissected by my paintings."

No comments:

Post a Comment